Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Easy as 1 2 3.....Kumari 2 1/2" strip friendly


I love the Kumari Garden fabrics by Dena Designs.  They are so so bright and cheery.  This is definitely PINK. I chose the Rail Fence or Roman Square Pattern to piece the quilt because it was jelly roll friendly.   I actually purchased 11 fat quarters for the blocks before I decided what I was going to do ( I had plenty left over). Then I cut 2 1/2 inch strips combining random fabrics in groups of 3.   Sew 3 strips together with quarter inch seams.      Note in picture that there are 3 strips to each square.   I cut each sewn strip of 3 into  6 1/2" in length forming a 6 1/2"  block ( the extra 1/2 allows for quarter inch seams).  Sew blocks together alternating layout.



The finished blocks are 6 inches square. There are 6 blocks across and 7 down, alternating layout.   I added a bright yellow flower just For interest and fun.  We sell the fat quarter bundle, but I can calculate a jelly roll for you, if you would like.  Except for the applique (applied with the Shades Soft Fuse), the quilt works up fast and easy. Finished size with borders is 44" x 50".  It was quilted by Leisha Farnsworth of Quilt It and pieced by me, Kristin.

I really like the yellow with the pink.  There are several yellow polka dot strips in the quilt, but in the picture they tend to pop and you only see a couple.  

What have you done with your Kumari Fat Quarter Bundles?  We have sold dozens.  We would love to share your projects.  Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment