Sunday, August 24, 2014

Words to Live By Block 7

Hope


Hope.  I love this block because of the word Hope in the center.  Something spiritual happens when I ponder this word.  Certainly more than a wish, it is faith.  And I would say love. Hope that we can be healed, joined again with loved ones, that wrongs will be righted, that the future will be brighter, and that what we do in this life matters.  I always hope that my children will find faith, hope, charity, and love.

If you are just joining us, we are making Lisa Bongean's Words to Live By Quilt  - a block each month.  Lisa is the designer of Primitive Gatherings and has hand selected all of the wool and cottons for this BOM kit.  It is not too late to join.  We still have a few kits just waiting for you!

You will love the textures - again, sigh - in this block.   I placed the little wings on the diagonal so that the plaid could be seen.  When I placed the wings straight it looked more like black lines on red.  I liked the effect on the diagonal.  Sorry this image is a little blurry.


Remember to save those remnants!




 Another close up of the Hope Block.  Don't you love the textures in those leaves?  This will be a fun block to hand stitch the appliques.

 Speaking of hand stitching.... I have finished my JOY block.  I hope you are way ahead of me.  I am currently stitching the Loyalty block.    Just a quick note - the light red is stitched with Sulky 12 wt thread. I found the reds in the Sulky but not the olive greens needed for this project.  We did not have any shops that carry the Valdani 12 wt threads so I ordered some online and used those for the greens.  As you can see the Valdani threads are thicker and more like a crochet cotton thread.   Remember you can also use DMC embroidery threads.  I believe you will need 2-3 strands.  I am not sure it really matters which thread you use - as long as you love it.

The guys in my family both said, "Wow that is cool" when they saw this Joy block.  I am a beginner with wool applique but still thrilled with the finished blocks.

I hope you have had a wonderful summer.  As fall draws nearer perhaps I can find a little more time to catch up on my handwork.

On another note...




The Moda Modern Building Blocks kits will be arriving this week.  We were able to get 10 more, so we have them available if you want to order yours today.  They will probably ship on Tues - Thurs.  We are so excited about this quilt.   A great skill builder!  CLICK HERE

Yes! That is 13 Fat Quarters for the price of 12.  Join the Bakers Dozen Club.  This month is Licorice - a great collection of black and whites.  Each month will be a themed colorway bundle. The prints are a mystery!  Purchase and join in anytime.  By joining in the club, we will email/invoice you when the next Bakers Dozen Bundle is available. All fabrics are high quality designer quilting cottons.
Bundles will be shipped on the 3rd Tuesday. 

Happy Sewing for the rest of your summer!
Kristin and Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment