Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Halloween "Home is Where the Haunt Is" Quilt Along



For those of you just joining in, this is our Halloween Quilt Along.  This pattern was designed by Kim of Kimberbell Designs.  She has wonderful instructions and lots of pictures.  You will enjoy this pattern.  Quilt kits are available in our shop!  You will need to purchase your own personal pattern for the dimensions and specific instructions.

This quilt pattern will boost your quilting and sewing skills!  I highly recommend it!

It is Mummy Day!  I have been looking forward to making this little guy for awhile now.  It will sew up quickly!  No stress or worries.   Your packet this week includes the muslin for the mummy and a small darker natural fabric for the face.   Cut out your oval first and set aside the remaining muslin for the mummy strips.  As you can see, I have all ready applied my soft fuse to the mummy face pieces and cut them out to the size needed.  I have peeled back part of the paper on  the large oval which is the face background.  Refer to part 2 in our blog if you need to see more instructions of fusible applique.
I have pressed my face pieces to the background.  Press the large oval piece first, following with the little face center.  I did use a ruler to center the large face oval on the black background.  Tear  the remaining muslin into strips - Only tear half of your fabric.  I only used about 1/2 of the muslin.   I used mostly one inch strips.
Begin laying the strips where you want them and sew down the middle.  I did not press the strips unless they were unmanageable.  I like the curled edges!  As you can see with the first strip I stopped just below the center.  The other strips I sewed to the edge of the oval .  As you can see in the photo below, I probably didn't need to go to the edge with the strips on the inside of the oval.   Think about where you might have overlap and shorten those pieces. 
Here you can see which order I sewed the strips.  You  may come up with your own "wrapped look".   Just make it fun.

I finished with a strip just a little wider than the rest across the top. 
CAREFULLY trim the edges.  After looking at this picture, I went back and trimmed that little edge on the right that looks uneven.  I love how the fabric is curled and frayed.  The eyes go on after you have finished quilting your quilt.  This was an easy and fun technique that can be used on other projects. Thanks Kim!  I am really enjoying this pattern.
The beige floral fabric in this kit is for the broom.  Follow the measurements in your pattern.  
I just cut the narrow strips and......
curled them like curling ribbon.  I have never done this before.  Yes, some of my strips tore in half while curling and as you can see they are very frayed.  I think it might be fun to add some of your other gold or orange fabrics to this for a more colorful broom.  Save this curled fabric for the broom bristles which are added after the quilting.

Have a wonderful week.  Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment