Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Halloween "Home is Where the Haunt Is" Quilt Along

For those of you just joining in, this is our Halloween Quilt Along.  This pattern was designed by Kim of Kimberbell Designs.  She has wonderful instructions and lots of pictures.  You will enjoy this pattern.  Quilt kits are available in our shop!  You will need to purchase your own personal pattern for the dimensions and specific instructions.
This quilt pattern will boost your quilting and sewing skills!  I highly recommend it!
 Remember the black and cream squares set aside from last weeks kit bag?  They are sewn together "on point".  First I arranged the squares in the pattern that I needed.
As you can see, I sewed the squares together in diagonal rows. There are several "how to's" on the internet on piecing your quilt blocks "on point".   Sewing your blocks on point can create a much more interesting pattern that sewing straight rows of blocks together.   
 Here are my blocks all sewn together and pressed nice and flat.
On point blocks have triangles pieces sewn to the end of each row to create a straight edge.  Or, you can also sew your squares blocks together as we have done in the previous step, and trim off the remaining square for a straight edge.  As you can see above, I have placed my ruler at the 1/4"  mark matching the end of each square point to allow for a seam allowance before I cut off the excess. 
  Always leave enough for your seam allowance or you will loose the point when you sew on the borders. 
Save these triangle pieces for another project.  
 
 My trimmed block.  Another section finished.
 How is the embroidery coming along?  I am done!
Remember the spider dangling off the top of the hat?  He needs legs too!
Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment