Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Half Hexie Quilt Pictures

My Hexagon Quilt pictures as promised.  I have been following the Hexie by Halves Quilt Along by Polly over at Pieces by Polly blog.  This fabric collection is Odds and Ends by Julie Comstock of Cosmo Cricket for Moda.  I used a layer cake plus 4 quarter yards for additional hexagons. I followed Polly's directions but used the Hexie Half ruler for 10" squares - which I purchased months ago and had not yet used.  If you do use a layer cake and the hexie half rulers, make sure to place the rulers to the far right or left of each 10" square so that you will have enough fabric for the front/back end pieces of each row (visible on left side of quilt).   I haven't trimmed the sides even yet because I am contemplating adding a border to make my quilt larger. We have tall people in my family!  Polly is just finishing up her pattern instructions.  CLICK HERE to find Polly's pattern.
Thank you Polly for your instructions and tutorial for this Quilt Along!  

The Hexie Half Rulers are 3/8" smaller than Polly's instructions for a half hexagon, so I added an additional row to the side and two rows to the length.  If you follow Polly's template, a layer cake square will not be large enough.  You will definitely need to use her cutting instructions for the template or strip method.  The Hexagons will also be larger which is always nice.
 Another picture to show you the rows - this quilt sews up quickly!

What I loved most about the rulers is the bottom corners are trimmed off.  When you match up the corners of the hexagon halves, they come together perfectly.  We just have a couple of these rulers left.  CLICK HERE to get yours.

Matching the hexagon seams was a breeze.  I would definitely make this quilt again.  In fact, I'm planning another one in blues and greens. This time, I think will use Polly's strip/ruler method so the Hexagons will end up a little larger. I love weekend quilts!

We have some wonderful new Layer Cakes in Stock that would be beautiful in this design.
Honeysweet Layer Cake by Fig Tree and Co just arrived last week.

Midwinter Reds by Minick & Simpson is one of our favorites. This would make a wonderful holiday quilt.
Josephine by French General is also brand new.  A gorgeous collection!   

Scrumptious Layer Cake by Bonnie and Camille would be wonderfully bright and fun.


We also have so many new bundles and we would be happy to cut you 1/3 yard cuts of each print per Polly's instructions. Don't miss out. This pattern will only be available on Polly's blog for another week.
Happy Sewing!

2 comments:

  1. I just found your store. I wanted to say "love your stuff". I will be shopping more often, as the pocket will permit. :)

    ReplyDelete